Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Cornbread

I had the worst craving. My cousin, Vanessa, posted a photo of her blueberry cornbread and I've wanted some ever since. I invested in a good textured cornmeal and set to work this morning. The apartment still smells delicious, and three slices in, I am very satisfied.

My recipe is as follows for (gluten-free) Cornbread:
 
1 cup cornmeal (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1 cup coconut flour
1 heavy tsp xanthum or guar gum
1 tsp kosher salt
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup softened butter
1 cup soy milk 
2 eggs

1. Preheat oven to 425 F and grease a baking pan (I tend to use whatever rectangular pan I have).
2. Mix dry ingredients together and whisk throughougly to combine/add some air to the flour.
3. Add butter to dry and pound in with a wooden spoon until it is well dispersed.
4. Whisk eggs and milk and pour into dry mixture.
5. Stir until just combined (over mixing ruins the airy quality).
6. Pour mixture into greased pan and bake from approx. 25-30 minutes. Check the center with a toothpick before turning off the oven and stuffing your face.

5 comments: