Thursday, November 29, 2012

Bake Till You Drop

On Sunday I nearly lost it. I mean sitting in a chair, face flat on hands: I can't bake anymore. I made 20 Biscaitie each for 15 different people, that's 300 Biscaitie all made out of my dinky home oven. On top of that was packaging: wrap them, bag them, tie a bow, label and cushion them, tape them up in boxes and trudge them down to the post office. I'm not ungrateful for the task, because running a baking company I realize is mostly figuring out the logistics. Plus the sense of accomplishment at the end was immense! But the whole "bake till you drop" got me thinking: what is it about starting a new process that can be so frustrating? 

It's the learning curve. I started a new job recently too. I'm a barista at The Queens Kickshaw in Astoria. As with starting my last job, there's a lot of details to remember fast when someone orders a drink. Everything has a place that it's kept, every drink has a cup it's prepared in, every second counts. But when you're learning you make mistakes. You do the wrong thing and it's the only way to seal the idea in your mind that no, an americano is does not go in the small latte cup.

The good news? Every time you repeat a process it gets easier. I now know all the things I need for my shipping including tidbits like "to" and "from." So long as you don't drop, you've learned something. With this in mind, I push on to the next order: this time 100 boxes to ship, followed by a holiday bazaar and a catered office Holiday Party!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, you're so busy!! Nice job! Hang in there - sounds like you're doing great!

    Side note: I LOVE Kickshaw! I used to live walking distance from there and it was one of my go-to's. Too bad I'm not still down there, I'd drop by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish the same busy business your way too! Can't wait to meet with you in the city & too bad you're not around Astoria anymore, how cool that you were a regular :D

      Delete
  2. We much enjoyed the Biscaities. Nedra was away for a week at Ocean Grove with her quilters so she got to eat some when she got back. And I went for 3 days to Cold Spring Harbor for a meeting and got back yesterday evening. I'm glad you mentioned that when Biscaities are left for awhile they become Biscotti, but then your Biscotti are more dippable in coffee and don't fall apart. And they remain delicious! love, Grandpa Elof and Grandma Nedra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed them and that they match well with your coffee! Miss and love you both!

      Delete