Friday, September 14, 2012

Applesauce


Is it really that time of year again? I anticipate autumn for all of August (and some of July...well maybe it starts in June). Apple cider donuts, apple picking, acorn squash and pumpkin pie. It's harvest season and the best time of year to be in the northeast. My sister came home with a sack of apples on Tuesday after a birthday visit to an orchard upstate and I've been staring at it longingly all week. Amidst my morning routine of coffee brewing, greek yogurt eating and checking email, I threw in some apple peeling and voila! Applesauce. I always imagine it will last me into those cold winter evenings when I crave warm autumn flavor, but let's face it, the sauce will be gone before the weekend is out.

Applesauce

1 cup water
1/2 cup honey
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
Juice of one lemon

1. Peel, core and quarter the apples. I take a large saucepan and fill it with apples as I peel them to get an idea of how many will fit (usually 10-12).
2. Add ingredients to prepped apples and mix well before covering and bringing the mixture to a boil.
3. Reduce heat and let sauce simmer for 20-30 minutes.
4. Take in the scent of autumn and warm your soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment